Saturday, January 30, 2010

Public Service


     The last couple of days went by so quickly...its amazing how time flies. I went to the library yesterday and a thought came to my mind. Ever since I learned how to read I have been fascinated with books. I remember when I was little my mom took me to the local library branch and I always went over the limit on books I took out. The librarian, Maria, used to tell me the only way she would let me go over the limit was if I read them all. You bet I went home and read all those books. I remember reading Arthur, Curious George, and even books in Spanish. My mom always made sure I preserved my Spanish. I am 28 years old living in another city and still visit the library at least once a week. I still end up taking more books out than I can read in three weeks! Life has gotten busier now...but I always make time to read.


I began to think even deeper about this and realized that another place I visited all my growing life was the Catholic Church. I went from being an altar server, to becoming a lector, to becoming a Sunday School teacher. I couldn't just sit there and listen to mass I wanted to be part of it.

Those are two public places I visited often in my life...the library and the Church. No wonder I am so passionate about public service. I now volunteer with the Mount Sinai SAVI program which requires me to visit the hospital emergency room once a month to advocate for survivors of violence. The hospital...another public place in the city.

I wonder what God has planned for me! Amazing things happen when you pray to the Lord :)

No comments: