Friday, December 30, 2011

to inspire or to be inspired

I was woken up today by a message of inspiration. This was very meaningful to me because the only resolution that has been on my mind for a few days now is to be inspired. From the 365 days in a year, I think about the few days within where I feel so inspired that I create something of substance. For instance, I don't write poetry often but once in a blue moon I get inspired by a story, a message, a photo or something that makes my spirit flow into words. I also think about the times that I have been so moved, that tears overflow my eyes. Or even times when I actually write a blog entry. I am constantly longing for those moments of inspiration to happen more often in my life. In fact, I try really hard to be aware of those days when I am inspired..I pray to God to help me hold on to that particular day.


Perhaps it is I who fall short of seeing the inspiration each day brings. Maybe it is I who don't often pay attention to the inspiration that is constantly present. I find that I often depend on others to inspire me. For instance, when I attend mass on sundays I expect to be inspired by the message or the homily that the priest provides. When I am in groups I expect for others to take initiative. When I am in a classroom I expect for the teachers to teach me something. There is certainly nothing wrong with that, however we also have to seek inspiration from places that we least expect and people that we perhaps least expect it from. We also have to be aware that sometimes we are the inspiration. The Holy Spirit moves through all things great and small.


This holiday season I received many physical gifts from loved ones. I received a bright bubbly vest, a grizzly bear scarf and boots for the winter season. I received a beautiful scarf that was hand made by my beautiful best friend. One gift in particular came from Diego's dad and step-mom. It was a silver chain with a charm of a dove. When I opened it the first thing I thought about was the Holy Spirit. While I don't think that is the way the apostles received the holy spirit in their time. I'd like to believe that this was a reminder that the Holy Spirit is constantly present in me and just in case I forget I can carry physical evidence of it wherever I go.

The message I received today that I referred to in the beginning came in an e-mail that Oprah sent to all of her friends and in it she mentioned a scripture passage in the Book of Acts, "In God I Move and Breath and have my Being" Acts 17:28. This Book is what I wrote my last paper on for my course in the New Testament. I had to write about the impact the Holy Spirit's coming had on the disciples. I also had to explain how the salvation of the world is a collaborative effort in which aided by the Holy Spirit we help Jesus through our daily living. I was inspired to read more on the Acts of the Apostles.

So, I took some time today to read all the way through Chapter 17 and have tons of questions. However, here are some of the scripture lines that stood out for me:
"they would sell their property and possesses and divide them among all according to each one's need" Acts 2:45

"And now, Lord, take note of their threats, and enable your servants to speak your word with all boldness, as you stretch forth (your) and to heal, and signs and wonders are done through the name of your holy servant Jesus." Acts 4:29-30

"The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claims that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common." Acts 4:32

"So now I tell you, have nothing to do with these men, and let them go. For if this endeavor of this activity is of human origin, it will destroy itself. But if it comes from God, you will not be able to destroy them; you may even find yourselves fighting against God." Acts 5:38

"But the Lord said to him, "Remove the sandals from your feet, for the place where you stand is holy ground." Acts 7:33

"Yet the Most High does not dwell in houses made by human hands." Acts 7:48

"The God who made the world and all that is in it, the Lord of heaven and earth, does not swell in sanctuaries made by human hands, nor i she served y human hands because he needs anything. Rather it is he who gives to everyone life and breath and everything." Acts 17:24-25

"For 'in him we live and move and have our being', as even some of your poets have said, For we too are his offspring." Acts 17:28

In the spirit of the new year I ask for all those things we all hope for such as good health, love, happiness, and prosperity among other things. However as a self-inspired resolution I simply ask to be open to the inspiration of the Holy Spirit in my daily life, to be aware of it, and to put it into action to inspire others.

Happy 2012.

No comments: