Sunday, January 15, 2012

Spiritual Sunday

I started my day today by attending the Spanish Mass at my church. I hadn't done that in quite some time since grad school began. It felt great to see my parish community and to listen to mass given by a new priest in our parish. He seems like a humble man and I am looking forward to getting to know him better.

So that afternoon my friend came over and we headed over to Barnes and Nobles for some quality time and inspiration. She told me how much she is enjoying her new job and all the exciting things that are happening in her life. She also mentioned that in the midst of it all she feels like she is not doing something to help others. Her job isn't necessarily in the helping field but in our conversation she mentioned painting her co-workers nails. She added that she has taken upon herself to paint women's nails at work. All I can think about was Jesus washing his disciples feet. I shared it with her and told her that what she was doing was a form of empowerment for women and that it was a great start.

At Barnes and Nobles we picked out a zillion magazines and sat in one of the corners of the store. We both took some photos of some things that stood out for us. I was really happy we spent that quality time together, but it wasn't over after that. That evening we went to my apartment and got dressed and ready to go to a live jazz show at Birdland in Manhattan. Her husband met us there and we enjoyed a really great show by Arthur O'Farrill and the Afro-Latin Jazz Orchestra. It was a really great show, its amazing how moving live music can be and anything with Latin Percussion in it makes me want to get up and dance! It wasn't a dancing kind of place but I was moving my shoulders and tapping my fingers to the beat : )

Here are some inspiring photos of today (all taken from magazines):










1 comment:

Hoy, artista said...

Thanks for the inspiration and the photos! The little things we do for friends are definitely both "giving back" and doing something good for others. Your friend is filling her coworkers life with color!