Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Word of the year: INSPIRATION

I remember always having my list of new year resolutions ready before the year was over. My lists were always long and I remember posting it nearby so I can remember the things I wanted to do. Anyhow as the years have gone by the list has gotten smaller. Not so much because I can't come up with any resolutions but because I feel like the list is completely overrated. I'm not sure if this was the first place I saw it, but in Eat, Pray, Love the movie Julia Roberts picks a word to describe her year. I don't remember what word that was but I find that to be a much simpler way to change our focus for a fresh, new year. Before the year was over I was deeply longing for inspiration. I feel like I have been longing for it for quite some time. So I decided that was going to be my word for the year: INSPIRATION.

So every morning before I get up I thank God for a brand new year and pray for inspiration. I chose the word inspiration not only because it has been whispering in my heart, soul, and spirit for quite some time, but because the word inspire means that an action has taken place as a result of the process of being inspired. I remember when I was an undergrad I used to be in poetry and spoken word circles. I was always in awe to hear some of these young folks express themselves through words. I remember one evening at home I watched the movie Piñero and I remember getting on my computer right after and writing what I was feeling at the moment. The next morning when I read what I wrote I couldn't believe I had written such a deep and meaningful poem. After that day I continued to write poetry and it lasted for maybe a few months. I don't know what it was about that time but I was on fire. I want to be on fire like that about everything. I want everything that I do to be deep and meaningful like I know it can be. I want to be able to find that inspiration in my daily life and make it last.

2 comments:

zoraida34 said...

One thing I have realized over the years is that everyone that has touched my life one way or another has INSPIRED me.. Has made me a strong woman and mother and friend and wife I have been learning every day either through my eyes or someone else's I thank God everyday for all the lessons I have gone through..

Rose will be Rose said...

thanks for reading my blog and sharing your beautiful and kind thoughts prima..I am glad that we can inspire one another...